Sunday, October 10, 2010

EYE OPENER: CSPI

For the they activity for the Eye Opener I chose to take a tour of the food supply, simply because I thought that it would go along well with my book that I am reading.  I thought that maybe I could become a little bit more educated about what was going on in the food industry by reading it.  Before I read about different parts of the food supply activity I have to admit that I was pretty naive on the subject.  The first section that I read about was air pollution.   I was absolutely shocked about my findings.  I had no idea that hydrogen sulfide was such a dangerous gas that can cause a variety of health issues including vomiting and even death.

The next part that I read about was the different aspects of manure.  I had no idea that it had so many detrimental health effects.  I never really thought that it was that bad for you.  However from the text I found that I was completely wrong.  Even the odor can lead to health effects such as headaches and depression.  It also causes a great deal of pollution to our world especially when it gets into our water and on our crops.  Not only is manure a major, so is how we a treating our animals.  Animals that bread just for the purpose of livestock endure many harsh conditions.  There are not laws protecting these animals, like the ones we have for animals that are used for scientific testing.  Instead they are confined to tight living spaces, and other terrible conditions that include:


  • Chickens being debeaked 
  • pigs getting their tails cut off
  • fed sewage
  • branded 
These are just a few of the harsh realities for them.  In some rare cases cattle remains were fed back to cattle for food which in turn caused mad cow disease.  This was recently banned, but it is still very alarming.  

One last issue that seemed alarming to me was the issue of pesticides on our crops.  I always knew that they were harmful but I wasn't fully aware of how bad they were.  They are attributed to many heart attacks and may contribute to hight cholesterol.  Overall these are all topics that I would enjoy finding more information on.  They really opened my eyes to some new things.
Image from http://planetgreen.discovery.com



2 comments:

  1. Wow! These are very scary and alarming facts. I am very oblivious when it comes to things like this. I am shocked at how animals are mistreated. I had actually read an article about the cow situation where they were fed remains of other cattle. I find that so disgusting that some farmers would skip such safety precautions just for money. Also, I do not know too much about hydrogen sulfide in air pollution but that is very scary it can cause death. Air pollution is one topic I feel I need to be brushed up on because it is so crucial to our health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I too was naive when it came to our food supply process. I also took the tour of our food supply process and was absolutely shocked and alarmed by how much harm our food supply causes the environment and our health as human beings. The conditions as to how the animals live and are treated were very sad and the amount of pesticides and chemicals that go into our food, air, and waterways was extremely alarming. Very informative and good post.

    ReplyDelete