Thursday, November 4, 2010

Reflection of Weeks 5-8

As the semester goes on I cannot believe that we are already in week eight.  Its so crazy how time flies.  Throughout this course I have learned many things.  Much of these things build off what I learned during the first four weeks.  I am very grateful that the topics that we discuss in class open my eyes to many new things.  I think also that much of what we learn I am very passionate about, so it makes learning very easy.


To start I want to say that I am very glad that I have finished my book these last couple of weeks.  It provided so much information, that before reading it I would have never known about.  It made me convinced that I really want to cut meat out of my diet as much as I can, or at least try to.  From my book I also learned  how important it is that we do as much as we can to preserve our earth.  We only have one and it is not going to last forever.


Outside of my book we were also introduced to many other things in class.  I think on of my favorite activities that we did in class was making a graphical header.  I loved that we got to use picnik to design our headers.  It offered us so many options to use and added a creative side to our blogs.  Now they can really express our personalities.  In addition to that some of the other things that I learned about in class were

  • The farm industry in our country
  • Cancer Alley
  • The  movies: about the water bottle industry (tapped)
  • Other documentaries: "Green", "Fresh"
  • how to embed a video into you blog
  • the real ingredients in your cosmetics
  • and how to find eco-freindly snacks in duluth
The snacks that we have in class is also a very interesting idea.  I love hearing how people came up with creative environmental food to bring to share, it makes for a lot of new ideas for snacking.

Another idea that came up and we have just started learning about is junking, or antiquing.  I cannot not wait until we get to make our own projects and show them to the class.  It will be a great new hobby that is also good for the environment.

Outside of in class discussion I have also learned a lot from my group members and the ideas that they post on their blogs.  Not only about their books, but about their share and voices.  Some of the ones that stick out are:
It has been a really fun last couple of weeks learning everything that we have.  I have truly become more aware of what I my self have to do to help sustain our earth.  I also have come to realize that what I do alone may not be enough.  If everyone could take a class that offered information like this I think that many more people would try to make changes.  However this is not the case.  Therefore it is important for us to educate what we have already learned to other people and voice our opinions.  And with that I know we can make a change

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, I also wish everyone was educated on environmental health! I think there would be a lot more changes if everyone was. I also love reading everyone's blogs. I feel like I learn just as much outside of class from everyone else than I do in class. I'm excited to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also realized what I need to do in order to reduce my impact on our environment as well. This class has taught me so much more than I ever thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really enjoyed reading my book for the Read 'n' Seed. It has helped me re-evaluate my own diet and how I approach it, as well as add perspective to people who choose to live a vegan lifestyle. I wish everyone would read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also had a blast these last couple weeks! Also it's great that you are enjoying your group member's share and voices so much!

    ReplyDelete