Monday, December 13, 2010

Advocacy Project: What you want to know about asthma and allergies

Asthma: What is it?
So as you have read in my previous posts I am trying to show you the effects of asthma and allergies.  Most people have a general idea of what they are, but not to much after that.  For example; did you know that allergies are the main cause of asthma? Some other questions that people may wonder is why are they so bad for you? and also what effects can they have on you?
To start out this activity I would like you to take a short quiz about asthma just to see how much you already know about it. The quiz is brought to you by WebMd, and is very short.  It also provides some great feedback to your answers.


Since you know have an idea about what you would like to learn I included a fact sheet from the EPA. It gives you some general knowledge about the subject.

  • Some of the information could be general knowledge, but some of the other information may be things that you didn't know.

I have included a brochure from the CDC. That goes over important factors such as triggers to asthma and how asthma is treated. 


One of the main triggers to the development of asthma is outdoor air pollution, there are many ways that you can control your exposure and here is a flyer created by the CDC that can help you to do that.


Now that you have read the information and took the quiz, it is probably easier to see that asthma is a much bigger problem that we may have thought. To end just write two three things that you learned throughout this activity about asthma that you did not know before.


Thank for your time! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information about asthma. My sister has it so it is nice to know what we can do to control it and what can trigger it. I didn't realize that pollutants had such an affect on people with asthma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I'm excited to do take the quiz and learn more about asthma and allergies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always interested to learn more about asthma, it effects my family greatly and I was one of the few that did not suffer from it in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, I took your quiz on Web MD and learned a few new aspects of asthma that I wasn't aware prior to taking the quiz. I learned that asthma can be triggered by emotional stress along with environmental factors and I also learned that a person without asthma can exhale about 75% to 85% of the air in the lungs within a second, emptying them within three seconds. Very informative post. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete