Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Read "n" Seed 2: First quarter of The Food Revolution

This was my first week reading The Food Revolution by John Robbins.  Needless to say I am completely caught up in this book already and I can hardly put it down.  Its amazing how interesting and how knowledgeable the author seems.  For the first part of my readings I read chapters one through four and through page eighty-two.  The first four chapters were as follows:

  1. Introduction: What is the Food Revolution?
  2. Healthy Heart, Healthy Life
  3. Preventing Cancer
  4. The Great American Diet Roller Coaster
The array of topics in this book are seeming endless but also very intruging.  The facts that he presents in the book and the stories he has shared thus far have made me reconsider a lot about my eating patterns already and its only a little way into the book.  The main topic of the book is basically how there is proven facts and scientific records that eating a vegetarian based diet not only fulfills your daily nutritional need, but also helps to prevent heart disease, stroke, obesity, and cancer.  In addition to this it discusses the topic about how the meat industry pays a lot of money to convince us that meat should be the staple of our diet as it is right now.  It kind of goes back to the topic that we talked about in on monday at the nature class room saying how industry controls every thing.  One thing that I find very interesting in this book is the amount of facts and research studies that this book credits in supporting its examples.  For instance I always knew that eating a vegetarian diet was better for you but reading this book is starting to convince me to do it.  Reading about some of the things that go on with hearts disease and cancer makes me kind of scared and is convincing me to be proactive about while I still can.  He includes many real life instances about how meat based diets have caused chronic illnesses.  One example he includes is that his uncle Burton Baskin ( founder of Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream Co.)  died of a heart attack at only the age of 50.  This was due to his diet of diary every day in large quantities, but this however is not the only thing that stuck out.  Many eye opening facts are included in this book:
  • According to  William Castelli, M.D., Director, Framingham Health Study Stated, " Vegetarians have the best diet; because they have the lowest rates of coronary heart disease  of any group in the country"
Not that this is the only determinate but it is very eye opening.  I think that this  book really should make every one think about what they put in their bodies.  There is a lot out there that we can do to change it and this book helps to give you a better idea what to do. Overall Im very excited to continue reading and learn more about the book.

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds like a book I should be reading. Lately, the topic of becoming a vegetarian has got me thinking. I rarely eat meat the way it is so I am considering eliminating out the few pieces of chicken I consume here and there. I love vegetables and soy. The facts the author gives about those who eat meat is scary because I come from a big meat eating family. I feel like a lot of people should really consider becoming at least part vegetarian because it would help lead to a healthier lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well after reading this I'm sold on cutting out the meat! The term "rollercoaster diet" is so perfect because no matter how high or low you get you always end where the ride started and in our case it's even worse! I'm excited to keep reading about what your learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I couldn't believe the stats and possibilities that eating vegetarian has on the outcome of lives. I'm not sure if I agree with all of the positives of eating vegetarian but it's definitely opening my eyes to it by reading some of your posts. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be so intrested to hear more about this book! I have developed a passion/ obsession with discovering more about becoming a vegitarian and it sounds like this book will have a lot of info that will keep me intrigued! happy reading!

    ReplyDelete